Monday, March 18, 2013

Moving between cultures / 3

This is the third post in a looong drawn-out series about cultural adjustment (post one & post two). I wrote the previous one a year and a week ago, not long after my arrival in Chile. Let me remind you of the stage I was entering back then:
Entering
Observer of people, places, and events. Superficial relationships develop. Aware of what is different and why.
Growth in understanding and ability will be observed and noted. Invitations will be extended and 'bridge people' will help the formation of new networks of information and relationships.
Still ambivalent about roles, status, and relationships. Growing ability to take risks in order to learn. Feel less vulnerable but still uncertain of who or what to trust. 
And here's the final stage, into which I'm well-and-truely making my way into:
New culture
Growing commitment and involvement with people, places and events. Knows what is going on, acts responsibly.
Known as an individual and as part of a structure. Status will be earned or ascribed. Relationships will be at a deeper and more intimate level.
Security reestablished and growing intimacy in relationships. Confident in roles and behaviour. Sense of belonging with only occasional bouts of nostalgia.
There's still a way to go on some of the things. Because of the addled, ponderous way I'm forced to speak, most people haven't yet 'got' my personality and talents (!). There's room for growth in my friendships. And I've been fighting for a confident approach to my ministry roles this year - so it's kind-of reassuring to see this listed as 'a thing'. Going great guns with all the rest. God is good.

0 comentarios: