Monday, May 21, 2012

Los 80

Moving here, one of the things I found disheartening was the thought that, try as I might, I'd never truely understand the culture because I hadn't grown up with it. I had no idea what it would have been to be a kid of the 80s in Chile. But God likes to bless his people in creative ways, so when I got here I found out about the wonderful TV show, Los 80 ("ochenta"). Let me share a couple of clips with you.

This first one starts with actual 80s footage, which is fun. You'll get the idea of what's going on at the start without needing to understand Spanish. Be sure to notice the Catholic influence and the mountains of Santiago as Martín starts his race. Now, look down at the next one.



This clip is a bit later in the same episode. It shows Juan on the first day of his new job when his friend Exequiel happens to pass by. I chose it because it's a good example of how Chileans greet one another. See if you can notice the warm enthusiasm of the drawn out vowels and sing-song intonation.

0 comentarios: