Monday, July 9, 2012

I have hidden your word in my heart

It's going to be hard to explain how excited I am about these books, but I'll give it a go. Up in the top left we have exactly what I've been looking for: Las Grandes Doctrinas De La Biblia by RC Sproul. Each doctrine takes no more than a page or two (and there are some weighty ones - predestination, the omniscience of God, the marks of a true church), and is concluded with a very brief, point-form summary and a list of relevant Bible verses. Coming to understand these truths can turn your life around and is just what I hope to be part of here.

Heading clockwise we have the little-but-mighty La Vida Cruzcéntrica (The Cross Centered Life) by CJ Mahaney. If while I'm here, I only help people learn one thing, it would be what's in this book (and the other Book): that what Jesus did for us on that cross won us everything and is the basis of all in our lives. And gosh, does this little number look like such a help.

Next we have the NVI (Nueva Versión Internacional) Comentario Biblico Con Aplicación: Romanos by Douglas J Moo, and over on the bottom left one on Lucas by Darrel L Bock. Much more accessible than Moo's other (English-language, NICNT) commentary, it still deals with the texts in some depth. Taking roughly five to ten verses at a time, this commentary series looks first at the 'Original Meaning' ('Sentido Original'), followed by 'Building Bridges' ('Construyendo Puentes') in which the authors figure out what are the truths that apply to the world today, and finally 'Contemporary Significance' (Significado Contemporaneo') in which their implication is explored. Like the books I've already mentioned, this is exactly what I want to be passing on to 'my women'.

The final two are perhaps a little more sexy ;). Batallando Con La Incredulidad by John Piper looks at what help the Bible offers to people struggling with anxiety, pride, shame, impatience, greed, bitterness, discouragement and lust. And Doce Mujeres Extraordinarias by John MacArthur looks at what the lives of twelve women in the Bible have to teach us today.

Clearly I need to find some latin authors to supplement these guys, but it's good to start with folks you know and trust. Can't wait to get going!

0 comentarios: